Hi, I am Petra
Introverted Rebel, Artist, Author, Teacher + Coach, Doer of things and a mom to 3 boys – one with some extra needs that have forever changed my life.
I get a gazillion ideas all the time and I follow the ones that light me up, get me giddy on the inside and beg me to make them happen.
Sometimes that looks like creating a coloring book with a theme, a pyrography series or a painting collection or something personal development related – like My Rebel Year.
I do things cause I want to do them – and that also meant earning a degree in computer system administration, accounting, and mental health counseling. I am currently working on a Phd in metaphysics.
In a world that teaches us to focus on one thing to be successful, I want to explore and live and do things that interest me, inspire me and motivate me to be my best self in any given moment and that can look a little crazy at times.
I want to have the cake and eat it too because it’s no fun just looking at the cake. It’s actually quite sad if you think about it. I believe that you can be, do and have what you want and make it happen in ways that feel true to you and to who you are. There isn’t just one way to live life!
And no one has taught me that more than my youngest son who was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder (urea cycle disorder CPS1) that almost cost him his life – followed by three liver transplants that shook me to my core and changed everything I thought I knew about life.
Because before all of that happened, I was a foster kid, an immigrant, single parent trying to find my footing in this world that tells us to fit so that we are liked, supported and appreciated.
And something that I learned from my youngest son who is autistic and has endured a hello lot during his young years is that you only have this one moment right here and what you do with it matters – who you are matters and what other people think of you, doesn’t matter.
Be good with you and the rest will fall into place.
But getting to this place was hard and messy and at times I still am a walking contradiction – its two spirits in one body trying to figure out who is boss that day.
It’s the healing of old stories that became normal but they no longer make sense. Sometimes that inner battle means I am hyper-focused on a project or can’t make it out of bed and binge watch videos that make me laugh. And other days I write and write and write until I can’t write anymore.
It’s the creative artist rebel wanting to do whatever and the logical analytical person following the strategies that help me do the work to achieve my goals in a way that make sense.
It’s the battle of caring for other people so much that I have sacrficed everything for the sake of the other person’s well-being without taking into the account that I too deserve to give myself the same care, love and respect. And that dialogue can be exhausting sometimes.
During my son’s recovery after his transplant surgeries, there were times, I wasn’t sure he’d walk out of the hospital and it’s because of that I decided to never have a “case of the Monday’s” ever again.
I learned that when I choose joy, embrace gratitiude and hold steady on my boundaries for my own well-being, life is so much better and I am better for it.
Some other random fun facts about me:
- I am an all boys mom and an all girls Oma (grandmother in German) (at the time of this writing)
- I am musically trained – from understanding music theory, reading notes and playing classical music on a recorder
- I immigrated to the USA from Germany at 18 with an 8 months old baby barely speaking English
- I am self-taught in all of my art that I do by watching videos and practicing
- I wanted to be famous singer or actor growing up and while none of that happened, I was an extra in a movie and music video for a local band
- I love coffee and can’t go without – and yes I am totally addicted and well I guess that’s better than some other drug
- I love music and my favorite genre at punk rock + heavy metal anythings else make me want to run – unless it’s my bestie with her killer voice
- I earned my Master’s Degree while my son was in the ICU recovering from his liver transplant holding vigil as he was healing
- I am the Founder of The Rebels Den where I help people follow their dreams + focus on their goals