I fully believe that there is a reason why dreams enter our conscious, and it is simply because we are the intended person to make them happen.
But so many times I have seen and heard people talk themselves out of their dreams because the minute it enters awareness is the same minute we allow fear and doubt to argue against it.
We owe it to ourselves to explore the possibility and to believe that we can make those dreams happen.
So here are 7 things you do when dreams come into awareness:
1. Give yourself permission
Allow yourself to see the big picture, not the little details. The big picture is important to see all that is possible and harness the feeling of excitement of seeing it becoming a real thing.
2. Believe you are the one and in yourself
Believe that you are the person to make it happen and that you have what it takes. Write about it in your journal, it’s okay to start with the doubts and fears but then go ahead and show yourself how it’s all bullshit. You have already accomplished so much.
3. Talk about your ideas and dreams with someone
Sharing your dream is scary because you may fear that the other person thinks you are crazy but if you tell it to the right kind of person, you just may be surprised about the support you have. It also gives you the opportunity to have a different perspective.
4. Do some research
Yes, do some research and find out if other people have made this happen. This isn’t to steer you away but to show you that you too can make it happen. I don’t believe in competition in business because there are a billion people in this world and one person can’t serve them all.
5. Find out what it will take to make it happen
Yes, more research but this one is to help you figure out what you will need to do. Dreams are earned by taking action but to do so, you must know what it takes.
6. Create an Action Plan
Dreams are meant to become goals because if not there are merely wishes. So, write down your dream as the main goal, list all the tasks it will take to get there and then break it down even further into smaller action steps.
7. Take action
Don’t just do the research and plan and then do nothing. Take action, one step at a time. It doesn’t have to be big steps right out of the gate, but a small one every day or every week will make your dream a reality.
All too often we get focused on the “how” to make it happen rather than what. The how you can find out by talking to people, doing your research and even hiring a coach. Two of my personal dreams happened because I shared it with people and inadvertently those people then gave me the “how to”. This is the magic of talking about your dreams no matter how scary they are!
One of the key mindset challenges is to acknowledge that our dreams deserve to become reality. There’s been so much conditioning about that “it only happens to other people” and that we must work hard to create the life we want.
Yes, going after your dream takes work and at times it can feel like it’s too hard. But here is what I know to be true:
Growth happens on the other side of fear.
There is no reason, and I mean none, that you don’t deserve for your dreams to come true. You dream can be writing a book, losing weight, starting a business or even work in a career you absolutely love. Whatever your dream is, YOU DESERVE IT.
Know this. Believe it.
And then, of course, take action.
I want you to go ahead and write down your dream. Take a few minutes to think about it, feel how achieving it will make you feel.
Are you excited?
You should be. It feels so amazing to visualize and see your dream as if it is already happening. And knowing how you feel when you achieve this dream, well that is really what you are striving for. Perhaps money is involved but that is not your goal.
Your goal is to feel awesome and incredible. You want to experience freedom and adventure. You want to feel like you are giving something back to this world, be of service in some way. Even if you are creating a product, such as handmade items, you are still providing a service for someone because they are going to feel joy seeing your work.
So now that you have your dream and you know how you want to feel, the next step is to act. I am one that jumps in head first without thinking because I make my decisions through my intuition. I learned long ago that for me personally if I take too long planning, it’s never getting off the ground, so I just make things happen.
For you, this may be different, so honor that about you. You can totally plan it out the what, when and where. You can also analyze the how but don’t spend too much time there because that is when our fear of deserving, failure and success tries to sabotage us.
So, go ahead, take you time to create a list of all the thing that need to happen for your dream to become reality. I would start with a list of 10 and have an awareness that this is always subject to change due to obstacles in the way, or you missed a step. Don’t get hung up on this either because sometimes we need to add or remove a step or three to make it all happen.
And then, commit to it. Commit to taking action every day. Do this in small increments.
If you are writing a book, start with outlining the chapters and then commit to writing a chapter each night or a certain amount of words.
If you are trying to lose weight, do something every day be it increasing your water intake or slowly adding healthier options and of course, start moving your body by walking.
If you are trying to start a business, do some research on getting it off the ground. Define your product and service, the location and all the legal aspects and then take additional steps each day to make it a reality.
If you want to have a career, maybe this means going back to school. Do your research on colleges, decide online vs. offline, full-time or part-time, explore tuition and ways to invest in your education, explore the job market for your chosen field, and then ensure you can commit to the assignments and enroll?
Sometimes when we break things down into simple steps it helps us see the bigger picture and realize that while parts of it may be hard, but in the end, it’s going to feel so incredibly amazing that on the difficult times will be worth it.
I am a huge advocate for NEVER EVER giving up on your dream. The reality is however that we create a barrier of fear and sometimes we have to take detours to really affirm what brings us the fire of what we really want to create.
Being clear about your dream and why you want this dream are only the first steps in turning them into reality. I will tell you that if you don’t know your why, you need to go ahead and figure out.
A really simple way to do this is by brainstorming all the reason you want your dream and the one that gets you super excited or brings you to tears, that’s your why.
Once you have discovered your why and committed to your dream the real work begins and here are 5 things to help you!
- You will need to do the work because no one can do it for you. Dreams are earned! This requires research and learning everything about it and thanks to the interwebs there are amazing resources!
- You will need to reach out and ask for support! You can try doing it alone but I am telling you that you are only making it harder for yourself this way. Find yourself a mentor or a coach who has done what you want to do! They have the experiences to share and help you along the way.
- Recognize they are always doubters and naysayers. We all have limiting beliefs and there are tools and resources to overcome them, but there are also people who believe that you can’t because of their own beliefs, get on your team. Know that this is their issue, not yours. Mindset work is one of the best things you can do for yourself, but it’s also the hardest work you will do. Once you get through those limiting beliefs, everything else will be easier.
- Watch your language and discover your barriers. What you tell yourself is your reality. If you say I can’t, well then you won’t. But if you get up in the morning and tell yourself “today is going to be awesome because I CAN take the next step, it will transform your world. Keep track of your thoughts throughout the day and see how many times you don’t really believe that you can have your dream, then start making the decision to change your thoughts. This means every time you get a limiting belief or thought, turn it around into a positive statement or affirmation.
- Respect yourself to take time for you. When going after your dream you can’t focus on it 24 hours a day. You must distract yourself with other fun activities. You need to put self-care and self-love as numero uno! Always. It’s so important that we include a self-care practice that honors us as we are creating this amazing positive change in our lives.
I want to hear from you! What are your limiting beliefs and how will you conquer them.