We hear it all the time, find your passion and you will never work a day in your life again. But what if you have no idea where to begin? Or when fear of being you truly scares you because of all the things you would be losing such as
But what about all those things you are gaining?
I get it stepping into who you are and following your passions is scary because it pushes you out of your comfort zone and really your ego is helping you stay there. Because when ego deems things unsafe it will sabotage you although you believe it to be protected.
But what if you are really wanting to find that passion despite the ego and fears?
- Start with deciding to stop for other areas to fall into place.
- Make a list of interests that you have. What brings you joy and what fires you up.
- Make a list of the things that frustrate you or make you angry.
- What can you do about feeling less frustrated and angry? Where do you have control and where do you not feel like you have control?
- If you had a superpower that could change the world, what would it be? How can you create this word without having the superpower?
- Write down what having a purpose means to you. Be clear and identify what you would be doing, how you would feel and what would be different about your life.
- Are you already doing some of those things? How can you bring into your life what is meaningful to you now?
- Decide on a goal that lights you up and makes you feel inspired.
- Brainstorm all the ideas that come to you to help you achieve this goal. Include your skills and talents that can support you in this.
- If you like visions boards, create one and print off the images that bring your purpose and meaning.
- Keep track of your negative thoughts and beliefs. Journal about them and do some evidence-based writing. Where has this been true? Where has this been false?
- Surround yourself with people who will support you on your journey.
Finding purpose is a journey and may even change over time because our mind and awareness expand. If you are following your passions, the things that light you up and excite you and bring you a tremendous amount of joy, odds are you will find your purpose sooner rather than later.